Monday, June 30, 2014

It's My Party

Today is my actual birthday, but I celebrated over the weekend.  Friday night I had dinner and drinks with some of my best girlfriends - all of the girls I wrote about here.  We ate way too much, discussed our celeb crushes (mine is Ian Somerhalder, anyone else?!) and began planning our next girls trip.  Win win win in my book!

Saturday was hard to beat.  For Christmas, "the girls" had gotten me a gift certificate to a hotel and spa in Geneva, IL - The Herrington Inn.  I've been craving some one on one time with my husband for awhile now.  This was the perfect opportunity!  I left early and headed to the spa.  I started with a Swedish massage and it was probably one of the best I've ever had.  The therapish focused exactly in the areas I told her about, and I definitely fell asleep at least twice.  After waking up, it was time for my first facial.  I still can't decide if I'm a fan or not - but there was one moment when my face was wrapped in hot towels as a treatment set.  She left the room and I absolutely fell asleep again.  Either I was extremely tired (yes) or very relaxed (also true). 

The Herrington Inn, via Google

After my three (or more) naps courtesy of the spa, I got ready and went off for a solo shopping trip.  This alone would have made my entire month!  I had time to browse, go in to any store I wanted, and try things on in silence.  Perfection!

As if all of this wasn't enough, I have to share my dinner experience.  If you live in the Chicago area, or are ever in the Western suburbs - you have to go to Bien Trucha in Geneva.  I ate so much delicious food that I could barely walk out, and I'm not kidding.  But let's back up a bit.

We knew that they didn't take reservations and had been told that in order to eat there at all on a Saturday, we should get in line by 4:45 to put our name on a list when they open at 5.  So we did - and still had about 20 people in front of us!  (I also need to go ahead and apologize for the iPhone pics... didn't plan that out very well.)

 
Luckily, once they opened we were in the first wave of tables to be seated.  We ordered some delicious drinks - cucumber margarita to be exact - and the "Guacamole of the Day".  It's always traditional guac with fresh fruit - Saturday was watermelon.  Delish!
 
 
We ate so much food, but I only thought to take a few pictures.  Bacon wrapped shrimp, pork tacos, roasted corn, shrimp tacos, mexican rice.  All menu items are in small plate form, and so so delicious.
 

 
While walking back to the hotel, we passed a bar that advertised "200 Craft Beers".  As if we weren't full enough already, we thought that sounded like a good idea.  We ended up staying a few hours because they had a live band.  It was so fun and amazing knowing that we didn't need to get home for a babysitter.  (The girls stayed with my in-laws).
 
We got to sleep in yesterday morning!  And just lay in bed.  We were laughing because we honestly don't know the last time that happened.  Normally, when we wake up its because one of the girls is awake so we have to hit the floor running.
 
It was a perfect weekend and I'm so thankful to have been able to spend that time with my husband.  We really, really needed it.  And - I was able to cross off "get a facial" and "have a staycation" from my 101 in 1001 list.
 
It's Monday - which means I link up with Emily from Ember Grey for Grateful Heart Mondays.  Today I am grateful for time to laugh with my friends.  For time with my husband without any distractions.  This birthday will definitely be remembered as one of the best yet - and the actual day has just begun!
Ember Grey
 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
 

11 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!!! And sounds like you had a great weekend :) woohoo for birthdays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Happy Happy Birthday, Girl! Sounds like you had a fabulous weekend! I hope you enjoy today to the fullest as well! Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday!!!!! Enjoy your actual birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday! Looks like you had the picture perfect weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday lovely!! Sounds like a wonderful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy happy birthday!! Yay for a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday!!! What a great way to celebrate. I love that you spread it out over the course of a weekend. Moms know (and moms of little ones know even more) that time is the most precious gift anyone can give you. Time to do anything you want, uninterrupted. Such a rare treat! Glad you enjoyed it...it's well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday Hun! Sounds so wonderful! And I'm so happy that you enjoyed yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man, I can't believe I missed this yesterday!!!!!!!!! (you always forget to actually link up, ha!) HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!! The Herrington Inn looks SO fabulous. I'm sooo glad you had such a fun celebration with your babe!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy belated birthday!! Looks like you had a blast! I am not a huge fan of facials. I've only had one, but I's take a massage any day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you had a great birthday!! :) xx

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and appreciate all comments! I will respond directly to the email address linked to your comment. If you are a no-reply blogger I will respond to you here. Thanks for stopping by!