Wednesday, July 2, 2014

The Story of Logan

I normally like to keep this corner of my internet upbeat and optimistic, however today I feel an overwhelming need to share the story of Logan with you.

Back in 2008, my hometown of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, flooded so badly that the entire downtown and beyond was under water.  It was devastating to see the places you grew up ruined so quickly.  The library and all of the books - under water.  The Science Station, which was like a children's museum - under water.  My dentist's office - under water. Bridges I used to travel daily - closed and barely visable.

Library

Mercy Hospital
 On Tuesday, severe storms with epic amounts of rain made their way through Eastern Iowa and on to Chicago, where I am.  Pictures began flooding my Facebook of my friend's basements flooded, reports of friends and their families going hours and hours without power.  After checking in with my parents (both houses were ok water-wise, just a few hours without power), I began to scour the local newspaper for updates on the river, praying that it wasn't close to flood level again.  Instead I found a report of three teenage boys that impacted me deeply.

Logan (age 17) and his friends, David (age 17) and Jacob (age 16) were playing in the street after the rain had stopped Wednesday, one block from my Mom's house.  There was standing water - reportedly about ankle-deep.  Logan went to get a frisbee near the side of the street.  The stormwater took control of his body, knocking him down and into a sewer drain.  David went in after his friend. 

David travelled over one mile throughout the sewer system of Cedar Rapids, finally emerging in Cedar Lake.  He was able to walk to the hospital for help.  Logan did not have the same story.  His body was found this afternoon in the same lake.

This story has really affected me.  How many of you have gone to jump in puddles or play in the rain?  Especially when water isn't very deep - I never would have known the dangers, and I certainly never would have thought twice about seeing three teenage boys playing in the street with some rain water in it.  My heart aches for his family.  For his friends - especially David and Jacob, who will forever have the memory of Tuesday in their minds.

Today is Wednesday Wishes with Anne from Love the Here and Now.  Today my wish is for strength and healing for Logan, his family and friends, and the city of Cedar Rapids. I also wish for everyone to be careful in standing water - you just never know the strength of Mother Nature. 

Hug your loved ones a little tighter today - I know I have.

Love the Here and Now

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

12 comments:

  1. This is heartbreaking...my prayers go out to his family. So tragic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing his story. I remember playing in flooded streets when it would rain and never thought about how dangerous it could be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly how I felt - and I did the same when I was younger.

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh this is so sad and its things like this that make me laugh off my sucky week :( You are a beautiful soul for sharing it! Genuinely! Makes me appreciate everything in my life so much more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh...what a heartbreaking tragedy! Logan's family and friends will be in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy moly that is so sad. Sending prayers to those families.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that just breaks my heart. It's so sad for his poor family and friends. I would never have thought it would be so dangerous to be in the street near the gutters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Horribly sad. I just cannot imagine! I remember that flood in 2008. I worked with many hotels in the Cedar Rapids area and I remember my contacts sharing photos and stories with me. You just don't think something like that could happen in Iowa, you know?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How horribly sad. That seriously brought a tear to my eye. Especially since they were doing something so innocent... :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh! How terrible. Sending thought and prayers to the family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, even without that tragic story this post is still heartbreaking! So crazy to see your city drowning like that! My heart goes out to Logan's family

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's terrible! It's amazing how things like floods can not only ruin buildings, but take lives. It's so devastating!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and appreciate all comments! I will respond directly to the email address linked to your comment. If you are a no-reply blogger I will respond to you here. Thanks for stopping by!