Thursday, June 26, 2014

A Family Full of Moving Violations

I have to start this by saying that it's been nine years since I've gotten a ticket (besides the random, annoying parking ticket).  NINE YEARS.

I've mentioned a few times recently that my husband was in Canada last week.  He drove.  It took he and his cousin 18+ hours to get to Northern Ontario.  On the day he left, I got a phone call asking where my insurance card was.  I casually told him it was in the glovebox, or he could get it online.  I thought it needed it to get in to Canada - but no.  He responded with "Well, the cop wasn't too happy to hear that."  He was speeding and was pulled over.  Honestly though, I'm surprised he made it north of Minneapolis until getting caught!  Turns out he only got a warning!  Score for us.  Until he texted twenty minutes later with "The second cop wasn't as friendly."  You'd think he would have learned his lesson and actually take the warning - yea I thought so too.



Fast forward to Saturday when I was driving to my sister's for the weekend.  While in Canada, there is absolutely no cell reception, so while he is there we talk to him twice - on collect calls from the camp's small office.  So, while I was driving, my cell rang and it was Tim!  I immediately answered because I hadn't really talked to him in over a week.  That's when I looked to the side and saw a state trooper glaring at me.  I was sitting in traffic and couldn't easily conceal what he had just seen.  I got pulled over and was given a $120 "no hands free" moving violation.  In my defense - my car has bluetooth, but I was in Tim's car.  I really thought about taking a selfie while he was in his car, but didn't want to make the trooper even more mad, or give me another citation!

Two tickets in one week!

Here's where it gets interesting. In Minnesota, they give you a citation number and you have to look up your fine.  Over seven days later... his citation number is not in the system, even though the trooper told him it would be there within 48 hours!  With my ticket, I can pay the fine, put myself on probation and if I don't get any more moving violations in 90 days, nothing goes on my record.  Seems like a no-brainer, but it makes me nervous.

What would you do - in both situations?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

4 comments:

  1. Ive talked myself out of two (deserved) tickets, one for no hands free and one for speeding ... and I do speed. Thankfully I never actually got one. Id be so annoyed ha! I dont think you have anything to worry about though and maybe your husband wouldnt even be on the hook for his!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've yet to be pulled over for speeding (and I speed a lot) it helps that I live in an area that has 2 police cars for like 400,000 people. But I know that the first time I get pulled over I will cry. Sorry about your tickets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only ever gotten one ticket for a small fender bender and there was no way I was talking myself out of that one. The cop was a butch lady who totally sided with the person who slammed on their brakes in front of me. So lame. I just paid my fine and moved on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a no hands free law but I dont really think the cops pull you over for it. I dont have blue tooth and Im always on my phone but I havent gotten a ticket yet *knocks on wood*

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and appreciate all comments! I will respond directly to the email address linked to your comment. If you are a no-reply blogger I will respond to you here. Thanks for stopping by!