Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Life With A Boston Terrier

Charlie.  My first baby, my fur baby.  I am a total dog person - I grew up around dogs, embrace every dog I see in public, and can't imagine my life without dogs in it.  When Tim and I were dating, I was always telling him that we needed to live in an apartment that allowed pets, because a day living without a dog was not good enough for me.  The story of how we got Charlie is one of my favorites - and goes to show that my husband was always listening to me when I was whining talking about getting a puppy.

One Saturday morning, a month after we were married, Tim got up to go to the gym.  Looking back, I should have seen the flags because we didn't belong to a gym, and he rarely worked out.  But, it was Saturday morning, BC (before children) and I was half asleep so I didn't think much of it.  About an hour later, he came home holding what looked like a little black blob.  Once it registered that it was a puppy, I said "How cute!  Who are we dogsitting for?", to which he answered "No one - he's yours."  Swoon.


Life with a Boston Terrier wasn't always rainbows and cuddles, however.  Once when I walking him, a car pulled over and yelled "Don't worry - he'll be different once he turns 6 months!" She was so, so right.

He had energy.  A lot of energy.  Always needing to play, run, chew. 

Bostons can be very stinky.  Anyone with a Boston will tell you that. (Plain yogurt on their food helps!)

He ate paper towels and toilet paper.

He liked to chew on feet.  Anyone's feet! 

He has a sensitive stomach.  If he doesn't eat, he will get sick.  If I'm not home, he won't eat.  Such a momma's boy!

Once that six month mark hit, he no longer needed play all of the time, he didn't chew on feet, didn't eat paper products, but instead just wanted to cuddle.  Unfortunately the stomach issues haven't disappeared, but it's a small price to pay for his companionship.  He is so gentle with the girls it makes my heart happy.




I can't imagine my life without him.  I might be a little attached, and he might be a little attached to me.  I'm linking up with Anne from Love the Here and Now for Wednesday Wishes.  My wish is for Charlie to know how much he means to our family.  I know that time with our pets is limited, and I often wonder if he knows just how much he is loved.



Annnnd I've written a whole post on my dog.  No shame!  Now that I've totally pegged myself as a "crazy dog lady", tell me about your furbabies!

Love the Here and Now

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

8 comments:

  1. I agree...a life without a dog is not a well-lived life. I love my dogs and have no shame when talking to them. I even pause to let them answer (now who's the crazy dog lady?! ME!). My daughters are mortified. Thanks so much for linking up with me...and add this to our list of similarities! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness what a sweet baby!!!! I'm a sucker for dogs too. I keep waiting for our pup to outgrow his puppy stage (he's exactly 7 months old today) lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable! I keep telling Philip we need a doggy, but he keeps saying no.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a smush!!! I love his face :) I can't wait til I have enough outdoor space to have a dog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute pup!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charlie is such a cutie!! This definitely made me want another dog. Unfortunately we had to put my last dog to sleep a year ago because she had cancer but so ready to give some love to a new pup!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So precious! He is adorable. I love Bostons and Frenchies. I hope he has his own Instagram!

    ReplyDelete
  8. He is so adorable! And a husband who buys you a puppy? Amazing! I already had Josie, but my husband and I got our first puppy together two months after being married! My husband's parents' had a Boston Terrier the whole time my husband was growing up and she sounds like she was the belle of the family.
    I completely agree that a day without a dog is sad. All they do is bring joy (and a few puddles of pee, but even that can be funny)!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and appreciate all comments! I will respond directly to the email address linked to your comment. If you are a no-reply blogger I will respond to you here. Thanks for stopping by!