Monday, June 16, 2014

The Story of My Dad

I've been dreading writing this post for Father's Day for awhile now.  Not because I don't have a relationship with my father, or that I don't get along with him, or that we have a bad relationship.  It's quite the opposite.  My Dad and I are close, always have been.  I definitely am a stereotypical "daddy's girl", and proud of it.  He has always been my #1 fan and has loved me unconditionally - always. I didn't want to write this post because I didn't want to relive Valentine's Day of this year.

That day, one phone call almost changed my entire life.

It was a Friday, and the girls and I had plans to celebrate with Tim as a family. Shortly after lunch, my stepmom called.  My initial reaction was that she was calling because she got the valentine that the girls had sent - so I let E answer the phone.  Nana talked to her for a few minutes before asking to talk to me.  The next few minutes are sort of a blur, but I remember her telling me that she was in the hospital with my Dad because he had fallen on the ice outside of work. She wasn't sure the extent of what was broken, but would call back after all of the scans came back.  I thought maybe it was an arm, or a hip (both of his hips are artificial), maybe an ankle or something.  It turned out that he had broken his neck.  They weren't sure how severe the break was, but it didn't look good.  After speaking with my sister, we decided to leave right away and go back to Iowa.

The drive home was awful.  I was speeding so badly that I was anticipating getting pulled over.  I remember rehearsing what I would say to the cop - and each time I would break down all over again.  I cried the whole three hours of that drive.  Walking in to the hospital room changed my life.  My strong, confident, gentle father was in a neck brace strapped to the bed, in so much pain and sick from pain medication, not able to move. Seeing him like that is something that I will never forget. It would be two days until he had surgery on his neck.  During that time there was a lot of talk of transferring him to University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics - which is never a good sign if you are in Eastern Iowa.  But, by the act of only a miracle, his blessed surgeon was able to fix the break and he has recovered beautifully. 

So, on this Father's Day, I am more than grateful to have spent it with him.  That I have more time with my Dad.  That my girls have more time with their Papa.  Yesterday could have easily been different, and the fact that it isnt is something that I will forever be thankful for. 

He joked that he couldn't feel his arm for days because I was squeezing so hard :)

Today I am linking up with Emily from Ember Grey for Grateful Heart Monday.  What are you forever grateful for?
Ember Grey. Grateful Heart Monday


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

10 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful post Meagan!So sorry to hear your dad was hurt like that and I can imagine that must have been such a hard time. Glad he's recovered well and is on the mend now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine that drive. It had to be awful; even more so to see him in pain. So glad he recovered! What would we do without our amazing dad?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad your dad was okay! Great post! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't ready to get teary on a Monday morning so I'm glad your story had a happy ending! That is so, so hard to go through, and seeing your dad in a hospital bed is so much worse than seeing pretty much anyone else in one. Glad you got to have an extra special Father's Day with him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, agreeing with Megan- super teary-eyed over here! Praise God for protection and healing! I cannot imagine that drive, Meagan. I love that picture of you two on your wedding day :) What a special shot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Meagan that had to be such a hard thing to see, and to go through as a family. I'm so glad that he's recovered and you had a happy Father's Day this year!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful story! So glad that he made it through and is okay! What a great thing to be grateful for!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What sweet thing to be grateful for. I am so glad he was able to recover.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man, I can definitely imagine Father's Day being bittersweet. But knowing that it wasn't his time to go yet, and that he's still with you, is such a blessing! Thank you for sharing your story with us!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and appreciate all comments! I will respond directly to the email address linked to your comment. If you are a no-reply blogger I will respond to you here. Thanks for stopping by!