Thursday, June 12, 2014

The Way We Were

Tim and I have been married for almost seven years.  Four years ago, our lives changed when E was born.  It changed again last summer when A was born.  Life is really hectic these days - with our girls' schedules, his work schedule, my part time work schedule always changing, family obligations, etc.  Some days I wake up, then the day is already over.  Weeks pass by, the months change, the seasons blend together.  All the while I am saying to myself, "Slow down, please!"

You see, I miss the way things used to be.  When we were first living together, we'd both come home from work, talk about our days, hang out.  Sometimes we'd cook dinner together (ok, lets be honest, he cooked - I cleaned), other times we'd go grocery shopping together.  Some days we'd just decide to go out for dinner, why not?  Then we'd always end up on the couch together watching tv or a movie.  The key word in all of this is "together".


The days of just "us"

These days, he is gone before I wake up.  He comes home, we all have dinner, get the kids to bed.  Then I have to go grocery shopping, or do the bills, or work, or if I am lucky, spend some time on this blog.  Weekends are generally spent doing housework, yardwork, or seeing extended family.  There is no "together".

I know that making time for each other should be a priority - but in all honesty, it gets lost day to day.  We both love each other - maybe even more now than before - but we will never be the way we were.  Although I love my children more than anything, I miss those days with him.  Even if we are lucky to get a date night, it's usually a quick dinner out or running errands without the girls.  And more often than not, we talk about the girls - our family.

Do you have a busy schedule?  Children?  How do you make time for one another -  and make it count?

8 comments:

  1. This is so true. We get lost in the every day stuff. Especially at the stage you're in. No matter what you do though for "date" nights at least you're together. It gets easier down the road. Trust me. But for now enjoy the quick quiet moments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although we don't have kids yet, this post totally reminded me to appreciate the "us" time that we have right now because it won't last forever. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny that I just wrote our story for today's post... it was fun going back and thinking about the early days. I keep telling X, even though we're praying for a family so badly, this time is also super precious.. just the two of us. (I love those pictures of you guys) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Completely the same over here. I miss being able to just get off the train together and decide on a whim to go out for dinner and see a movie. And we've only got the one little... We have said we need to be better about just scheduling in a date night every few weeks. Even if it's just a couple of hours at the Indian down the road, we want to have a little time that is just the two of us where we can talk and connect. It doesn't always work, urgent meetings etc come up (on his side) or my kiddo gets sick, but whenever we *do* make the time, it's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just thinking about this very thing. We don't have kids yet, but we need to cherish this time we have together before out lives aren't just our own anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so nice to read about being together 7 years and going through everything together. My husband and I have been married for 7 months and it's hard! We've done lots of fun dates, but the best ones are when we can't get any cell reception (like in the middle of nowhere to tour something historical) or purposefully put away all media. I'm so guilty of multi-tasking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You guys are really cute. Love the pictures. I will say that's one of my worries with getting married and having kids but my mum warns me that one day I will want all the kids home and they wont be. I dont have kids yet but I can imagine its hard!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We don't have kids. but our schedules are very hectic and my husband is gone a lot. When we are together we sometimes have to stop and make an effort to get off our phones and actually hang out. I've also heard of reading together out loud. I think it's a great idea, but my husband not so much. But if you are both into reading, It might be an idea.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and appreciate all comments! I will respond directly to the email address linked to your comment. If you are a no-reply blogger I will respond to you here. Thanks for stopping by!