Thursday, July 24, 2014

DIY: Artwork Photo Book

This past year was the first year of school for E.  As a preschooler, she did a lot of coloring, painting, and creating things with her hands and feet.  I loved seeing the masterpieces she created each week, but quickly got tired of having piles (and piles!) of artwork sitting around the house.  So, like any person looking for a solution, I went to Pinterest.  What I found was an app called Artkive.  Basically, you take a picture of the painting/drawing, then they will put it in a cute little book that you can order at the end of the year.  Great idea, yes?  No.  The prices were outrageous!  So, I decided to make my own with Snapfish.


I began by downloading the Snapfish app on my phone.  Then I got to work taking pictures of everything, trying to keep them in calendar order.  (This helps with the book creation).  At the end of this year, I had over 60 pictures of E's artwork!

Last month I logged on to Snapfish from my laptop - you can make a book from your phone or tablet, but I liked being able to see it larger so I could really customize it.  I chose a 8x11 Classic Photo Book with a Linen Cut-Out cover, and got to work. 

I went in order, and added the name of the months, along with other images through their huge collection of embellishments.  It was so fun picking the layout for each page, adding my photos, and embellishing her already amazing artwork.  (Every preschooler's artwork is amazing, right?)

 
 
The last page included her report card and the picture we took on her first day.  I then added some blank pages, that I added printed photos that were sent home with her throughout the year.  Pictures of her with her classmates, on field trips and with her teachers.



 My total price?  Under $30. Beat that Artkive!  (I did have a coupon for 20% off and used Ebates, but without those two things it still would have been under $40!)

I love that I started this during her first year of school and plan on making one for each year after this.  She has shown everyone that comes over and I hope that we continue to look at each masterpiece for years to come.

FYI: Snapfish had nothing to do with this post, I was not compensated in any way.  Just wanted to share the better way to save your child's artwork without the clutter!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

7 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea!! I created a photobook of my daughter's first year with Photobox but I never thought to do one of her artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great idea! I've accumulated a similar stack from Zander with crafts he does at the sitter's house. In Prek it'll just grow in sure. Thanks for this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a good idea. I'll have to remember this when Philip and I decide to reproduce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so beyond cool!! I need to remember this for when I have little ones with lots of artwork :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE this!!! What a great idea....where was this back when my kids were younger??? What a great gift too for grandparents!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea!! Love this. Hope I remember it by the time my future children have artwork:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great idea. I will pin it so I remember it some day when I have tots.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and appreciate all comments! I will respond directly to the email address linked to your comment. If you are a no-reply blogger I will respond to you here. Thanks for stopping by!