Wednesday, July 16, 2014

I'm Not a Stay at Home Mom

When E was a baby and I had to go back to work, it was the worst thing in my world.  Not so much because I was concerned about her well-being (she was in good hands and right down the street from my work), but because I was working.  And not at home.  I always had this idea that "moms were supposed to be at home - raising kids, cleaning, cooking".  Call me old fashioned but that's how I grew up and expected my life to be the same.

We had just moved in to our house and having a baby added to the financial strain, so staying home was not a possibility.  For the next three years, I hated working.  I loathed each and every day, and was insanely jealous of anyone I knew (or barely knew) that was able to stay home.  My coworker and I would daydream about the day we could quit.  Each scenerio was extremely dramatic and detailed, but fun none the less.

Fast forward three years.  Hubby has a great job, we've paid off all our debt and managed to save some cash.  I'm pregnant with A and thinking "THIS IS IT!  I finally get to stay home with my babies and do all of the fun things I've pinned!" (true story).  As I'm contemplating when to tell my boss, my Dad and stepmom kindly suggest that maybe I should ask if I could work part time.  My first reaction?  They were crazy!  Why would anyone choose to work if they financially didnt have to?  After a lot of thinking, we decide that maybe I should propose working part time - because worse case scenerio, boss says no and I'm back to being a stay at home mom.  Plus, if I ever wanted to go back full time, I wouldn't have a gap in my employment history.

You guys - it was the best decision ever.

I can not be a stay at home mom.  My two days a week out of the house are gold.  I love my children, but adult interaction and time to eat lunch in one sitting is bliss.  I look forward to work now - two years ago that statement would make me laugh uncontrollably.  But it's true.  It's a win-win.  I bring home some extra cash, my kids get some interaction with our nanny's daughter, and I stay sane.

source This is SO true in my house!
 
To all of you true stay at home moms - You are my hero.  For real.  It takes more strength than I have.  Every mom is different - I think that is important to realize day to day.  What works for one family doesn't work for another.  The grass is not always greener.

As is the norm, today I am linking up with Anne for Wednesday Wishes.  I wish that I could have done this when E was little.  I feel like I missed out on a lot of things with her as a baby.  As other mothers can confirm, she grew up way too fast and I hate thinking that I "wasted" time at work instead of being with her.  I know that staying home was not an option then, but I still feel guilty about it.  I can never get those days back but I am working hard at making new memories.

What are you wishing for?  What are your thoughts on staying home vs. working out of the home?

Love the Here and Now

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

14 comments:

  1. I love reading this-I know at this point when we have our first baby, finically, staying home won't be an option. I worry all the time about how someday Ill have to leave my baby to go back to work and I know I will resent it, so hearing the fact that you love working part time is encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome that you found the balance that you need. I don't have kids yet and they are probably a couple of years away... but I don't know what I'll do. My mom will probably take care of them, but she is 70 now. my job doesn't allow part time work, although I can do a shorter week (4/40 or 9/80). Glad to read something like this, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been on both sides. I start rout as a stay at home mom and went to work PT when my youngest was going into kindergarten. I then went full time when she was in 4th grade. I loved being home but I know what you mean....I eagerly awaited my husband's arrival for either some adult conversation or I would immediately head out for 20 minutes of alone time. Now that I'm working and the girls are older I'm ok with it; except on school breaks and summer. The saving grace though? They are busy and lead full social lives. There are days when I am just a taxi driver. I may as well be at work! Working though really helps me savor the times and days we spend together as a family. There is no right or wrong on this one...it's all personal opinion. Do what works best for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good lord the amount of typos and autocorrects in that comment above is awful...sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree completely! I could never be a stay at home mom. That work is tough and the women that do it are golden! Financially speaking I don't have the option anyway but if I did I would need to work a bit anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so wonderful that you're happy with your work / life balance!! That is so difficult to achieve for so many people. Yay for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so great that you are able to have a job where you could go part time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the saying "If mom isn't happy nobody's happy" applies for all families and homes. and that's great that you finally decided what would work best for you and your babies.

    http://nightowlventing02.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-hump-day-blog-hop.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you found the balance you need for your life. I think all mums working or at home are simply amazing. Good job mama!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this post!! I work from home but also got a part time job two days a week at an office because I just needed two days of adult interaction as you said. I think it's just enough to keep me sane! Haha!! I swear every post I read of yours, I am like we are so alike!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally wish I could be a SAHM mom too, but I love the idea of part time working as a way to bring in a little more money and get out of the house. So, can I ask - do you work a few full days, or five half days?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that I'll want to work part time when we decide to have a baby. And for all the reasons you listed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so hard being a working mom, but at the same time I totally admire stay at home mom's. Both sides of the spectrum have a hard time. This is so well written! I wish I was able to stay at home a few days out of the week, but I'm lucky I get off earlier than most.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I stay home full time and before I had a baby I didn't understand why anyone would want to work even part time. But now I'm actually living it, I can see why some moms need/want that balance. It IS hard to be home all day with a baby. For me personally, I'm just fine staying home. I don't get bored (as some like to think I do) and the days seriously fly by. Glad you were able to go down to part time and that your family has found a nice routine!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and appreciate all comments! I will respond directly to the email address linked to your comment. If you are a no-reply blogger I will respond to you here. Thanks for stopping by!