Tuesday, July 29, 2014

This is Me, Not Trying

Last Friday, one of my favorite posts was the announcement of the "don't try so hard" link-up, hosted by The Florkens, Jade and Oak and Treasure Tromp.  I immediately thought that this was a great idea, because really, shouldn't we just love ourselves for who we are?  Being the mom of two young girls, this concept really hits home for me.  I want my girls to grow up loving themselves, being proud of who they are, and not letting society tell them what is beautiful.  But, the truth is, I don't live that way.  I wear makeup every day.  I look in the mirror and change my clothes if they don't make me look "good".  I wanted to participate in this link-up, to "walk the walk", so to speak.  If I want my girls to grow up learning those lessons, shouldn't I be the one to teach them?  Afterall, I spend each day with them.  I have to tell you, though, I didn't want to post my picture all natural, let alone take it. 

But I did.  And here it is!

 
 
One of my first posts ever was Love Your Flaws.  I wrote about all of the things that I would normally dislike while looking in the mirror, and changed them in to positive things.  In addition to those things, I love that I can wash my hair, let it air dry and it remains straight.  I've always wanted curly hair - or hair that just holds a curl - but I know how lucky I am to have such straight hair.
 
So, if you were to take this challenge, what would you find to love about yourself?

the florkens

 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic 




16 comments:

  1. I am loving these posts! You're gorgeous and don't forget it! I'm also loving that we're wearing almost identical shades of nail polish right now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl! You're absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are very beautiful my dear, and as someone with wavy hair let me say how jealous I am of your straight hair! I have to spend way too long with the flat iron to get mine straight, and when an ounce of humidity touches my hair it's all wasted efforts! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty!! I wish I looked that good without makeup!! Simply gorgeous!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really look great without makeup! Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. XO! Love!!! You know... Christian often tells me, "You really don't look that different with no makeup on.. you're still just as beautiful." I always thought he was just saying that (and maybe he is) but after this linkup and after your post- I think he's on to something!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well hello there my beautiful friend! Looking flawless and YOUNG!!! Straight hair girls unite...wash and go right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look so pretty! And don't feel bad, unless my hair is drenched in hair spray (or a professional does it), my hair doesn't hold a curl either. I'm with Anne... straight hair girls unite :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the same kind of hair. Boring-can't-hold-curl-to-save-its-life straight hair. So I feel you there.

    But you seriously need zero makeup lady. Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are beautiful!! Loved all of these posts in this link up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Um... there is SO much to love in this picture! Your hair, your eyes, your skin, your smile...Wow! You have a whole LOT to be proud of! And you are SO right about teaching your girls that beauty is inherent and they don't need to allow society's perceptions to influence theirs! What a wonderful mom you are!


    Thank you so much for linking up with us!

    -Kate
    www.theflorkens.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post! Your smile is so beautiful and your eyebrows are so on point. I'm so glad we all got a chance to participate in the linkup. I think it's just awesome to see all of these brave and beautiful ladies baring their naked face with pride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am seriously loving this link up - so much inspiration! Thank you for the sweet comments :)

      Delete
  13. you look so great and love your smile! thanks for linking up with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look amazing! I wear makeup everyday to work but on the weekends I'm like.. eh. I'll just put on some yoga pants and go to the store looking like a homeless person.. people don't bother you if you look poor apparently. lol.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and appreciate all comments! I will respond directly to the email address linked to your comment. If you are a no-reply blogger I will respond to you here. Thanks for stopping by!