Wednesday, August 20, 2014

When Peanuts Attack

One of E's favorite snacks is peanut butter crackers.  I'm pretty sure she would eat them every day, for every meal, and snacks in between if we let her.  The other day, per usual, she asked for them and I said she could have a few.  We hadn't given A nuts of any kind - not because of known allergies, or allergies in the family, but just because I wanted to make sure I was home with her when she had them for the first time, you know, just in case.

Just in case turned in to alarm after I let E share her snack with her sister. In just a few short moments, the skin around A's face became red, raised and splotchy.  She was grabbing at her face, and I panicked.  After calming myself down and telling myself to think rationally (I think this is a Mom superhero quality, as I don't really know where it came from), I checked in her mouth, listened to her breathing, and realized that her tongue was not swelling and she was breathing normally.  Thank God.

Not the best pic - 13 month olds don't sit still - ever.

I quickly gave her Benadryl (again - superhero Mom told me to do this) and called her doctor.  It was before hours so I had to wait the longest ten-ish minutes in my life.  Once she called back, we had a quick consult over the phone and we both agreed that the reaction was not life threatening.  The plan of action was to keep giving benadryl for the day, to have a blood test to figure out the severity of her allergy, and of course, keep her from eating nuts of any kind until then.

We are no stranger to food allergies.  E was allergic to strawberries from 12 months - 20 months.  Thankfully, she outgrew it.  But peanuts?  This is a whole new set of complications.  I'm terrified.  What if she doesn't outgrow this, but it in fact grows more severe?  What if she can't even be around nuts, let alone eat them?  Will I have to read every food label in search of a possible "peanut allergy" warnings?  How would I be able to send her to a friends house, a birthday party, anywhere, in fear of her coming in to contact with nuts? 

Today my wish is this: that A's allergy is so minimal there will be no long term concerns, and even better - that she outgrows it. 

Love the Here and Now

Have any of you dealt with a nut allergy - either in your children or yourselves?  Words of encouragement are very welcomed!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

11 comments:

  1. yikes!! well, we haven't dealt with a nut allergy... HOWEVER Ainsley had an egg allergy for quite some time. She's outgrown it now, but we realized it around 6 months when I was starting to introduce soft foods (scrambled eggs, right?) well, she had the same reaction as A: red splotches etc. Thankfully, like A it wasn't life threatening but I did have to watch food labels for "egg" (WHAT a pain!) about a month ago (a year since the incident!) her doc said we could try it again, and good news is she didn't have a reaction, but the bad news is now she doesn't like the taste for eggs. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. So odd. I don't remember any kids my age having food allergies like this. I wonder what's causing it??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness! I'm glad it wasn't a severe case and I do hope she grows out of it because it seems like there are nuts in so many things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww poor baby. I hate that so many kids these days have allergies. I swear it wasnt always like this right? I hope you get your wish and that she outgrows it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Allergies can be so scary! I have a shellfish allergy, but my brother has a severe stinging insect allergy. His appeared when he was 4 and was so severe he had to be revived at the hospital, and wasn't allowed to go outside for about a year. Thankfully we live in a time where allergy shots are available to help treat the underlying causes and train the body not to react--he now doesn't even have to have his shots and only carries his Epipen with him just in case. Allergists are wonderful doctors and will help you come up with a plan that will allow your sweet girl to still enjoy being a kid and help you feel more at ease!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no poor baby!! I hope it's not too serious. Lots of thoughts going out to ya'll!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How scary!!! But go you and your rational thinking. I truly hope it turns out to be something she'll outgrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope she's doing ok!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, Meagan- I'm so sorry to hear this!! My best friend's daughter is allergic to peanuts (among other things) and she actually writes an awesome blog giving comfort, hope, and tips to other parents whose children have food allergies. You can check it out here (and I know she would love to hear from you or answer any questions you might have) > http://theselightsofmine.com < In the meantime, I will be praying!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. :( My daughter doesn't have any allergies so I can't relate, but I can imagine how scary that moment was for you!! I'm glad she's ok and like you, hoping she outgrows it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So, so scary. You seemed so calm and rational....amazing! I hope that it is not that severe. Please keep me posted. And I know you don't post pics of your girls but she is adorable! I see her Mommy's eyes in hers!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and appreciate all comments! I will respond directly to the email address linked to your comment. If you are a no-reply blogger I will respond to you here. Thanks for stopping by!