Monday, August 25, 2014

What DId I Sign Up For?

If you've been reading for any amount of time, you would know by now that my husband loves golf.  I sometimes refer to myself as a "golf widow" - but thankfully, we live in a climate that only really allows him to golf 4-5 months out of the year.  (Except when we go on vacation, but I'll save that for a whole other post!)

Last week, he casually emailed me while at work and asked if we had plans this Friday.  I got excited thinking he was planning a super fun date for us or something!  No.  He had signed us up for a couples golf night - a foursome, in the dark, with light up balls or something.  (Can you feel my excitement?)  Only problem = aside from mini golf, I've never golfed before. 

Luckily, the couple we are going with is super fun and I won't be incredibly embarrassed when I can't hit the ball.  But, the one thing I'm nervous about?  What to wear!

So, I turn to you blogland.  My husband can't be trusted with answering fashion related questions, and Pinterest is only halfway helpful as I have no idea what women golfers actually wear.  Do they wear skirts like these:

source

Or shorts like these?:

source I wish I looked this good in shorts!

Or pants, like these?:
 
source Not loving the shirt and hat, but pants?
And furthermore, do I have to wear a collar?  Get golf shoes?  Let's not even talk about the fact that I don't know how to swing a club! 

On this Grateful Heart Monday, I'm grateful for my husband - even with his lack of fashion help and less than stellar romantic date planning skills.  Any time with him that is spent doing something other than "home" or "kid" things is rare, so I'm excited to have the night with him.  Who knows?  Maybe I'll be really good at golfing. (Ha!)  I'm grateful for our babysitter, whom we love and trust completely with our girls.  I'm grateful for patient friends - whose patience will really be tested Friday night.  And, I'm grateful for you - and your help on what I should wear! 

Grateful Heart Monday linkup
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

9 comments:

  1. Well, the first question: what is the weather supposed to be like when you go Golfing? cause if it's going to be a little chilly then I say pants. otherwise, go with the shorts. As far as the shoes etc, I can't help because like you, i've never golfed (exception: mini golf). :P I hope y'all have fun though.. and yes: grateful for babysitters! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh day lord, I can only imagine what I would be like in the dark trying to hit light-up golf balls lol! Whatever you decide to wear, go all out and make it bright. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I just picture you looking all cute in your golf gear but not being able to hit a ball. Sorry that made me chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahah!! This is great. Ok for one, I am so not the person to help you with this. My first question after reading this was, "Wait.. you have to wear a collar when you golf?" (Wrong collar.) If we're going for cuteness wise- I love the skirt!! Can't wait to see what you decide and to hear how it goes on Fri! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd start with the weather forecast then go from there. Is it a club that requires collared shirts? I personally love the skirt outfit but I'm girly like that. Hope there's pictures and a blog post to follow. Can't wait to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, I think you should take a combination of all of them. lol :) Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the pants, but I have no idea what you should wear! Does the place have a website or something where you can research? I've only ever done glow-in-the-dark mini putt where the only real requirement is to wear white so you will glow!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. maybe check the dress code at the club/place you'll be going to. Some have dress codes and some don't. Most go with khaki type shorts/pants/skirts and a collared shirt (like a polo), but some don't. As far as shoes, I have no idea. maybe the dress code thing will tell you or an event page for that specific event.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry I didn't see this post earlier! I used to golf competitively in college, so I definitely could have helped you out! For reference in the future, the dress code often depends on the golf course. Private clubs will often have more strict requirements than public courses. If you want to be safe anywhere, avoid denim (khakis of any color will work) and try to keep your bottoms at a modest length because some of the old farts at the private clubs can get really particular about things like that....Michelle Wie's purple shorts would totally not fly at the course I grew up at! DON'T wear a skirt....your first picture is of a skort (shorts underneath, but it looks like a skirt). You need the shorts underneath because if you lean over to put your tee in the ground or bend down to look at the putting green you'll end up showing everyone your undies if you're wearing a skirt! I loved skorts. Skorts, shorts, capris, or pants are all options. I would recommend wearing a golf shirt with a collar. Sometimes collars are required in the dress code. If it's a cooler day you can layer a long sleeve t-shirt or Underarmor under the collared shirt, or throw a sweater over the collared shirt. Just make sure your top is comfortable and doesn't restrict your range of motion. Don't worry about golf shoes if you've never really played before, tennis shoes will work just fine. Make sure your hair is up in a ponytail (otherwise you'll have a hard time seeing the ball) and personally I like to wear a cap and sunglasses, but that can all depend on the weather. Hope that helps! And if you need lessons I could always make a trip up to Chicago-land for a blogger date ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and appreciate all comments! I will respond directly to the email address linked to your comment. If you are a no-reply blogger I will respond to you here. Thanks for stopping by!