Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Here Comes My Bride

I know that this title is misleading... I didn't get married, I wasn't the groom, my only participation in the wedding this past weekend was bridesmaid.  But, for some reason, I felt like I was giving her away.  Let me explain.

My parents were divorced when I was in 7th grade.  When I was a freshman in college, my Dad remarried.  With my new stepmom, I gained a stepsister.  I grew up with an older sister and had always been the baby.  But all of a sudden, gaining a little sister and becoming the middle child happened.  And you know what?  It wasn't traumatic!  I fell in to the role of big sister almost immediately.  Three years later, my little sister came to the University of Iowa with me and from then on we were real sisters, no "step" relationship at all.

We both live in Chicago, she is A's godmother, and I couldn't be happier to have both she and her mother in my life.  I am truly blessed.

Now, on to the wedding!!

It was a whirlwind of a weekend.  Friday, we went for mani and pedis and out to lunch.  After a quick rehearsal, we had the dinner.  Delicious! 

sisters!

Fam!
 The dinner and hotel were in Iowa City, home of University of Iowa, aka my college town.  After dinner we corralled people to go out to the bars with us - which was really fun, but just sort of made me feel old!  After a few rounds of shots, we decided to call it a night.

Fireball for the win

 If you have ever been to Iowa City, and in the PedMall after 10pm, you know what Marco's Grilled Cheese is.  (If not - it's a grilled cheese cart and it's as amazing as it sounds.  Full disclosure - I've never had this sober, so it might not actually be that delicious.)



Saturday morning came and we took our time getting ready, drinking mimosas and eating a light lunch.  The bride and groom got married in a beautiful winery - but unfortunately I was so busy chasing my children around that I don't have any pictures of the location.  Once we get some from the photographer, I will share them!

Almost time :)
For those of you who gave me suggestions on how to avoid sweating in my dress, I went with Clinical Strength Suave and it worked!  Also, the alterations worked ok so overall, my dress wasn't a total disaster.  And really - who cares, how beautiful is the bride?!  Her dress was completely open in the back, with buttons all the way down.  Stunning.

There were four moments I cried: when my Dad walked her down the aisle, when E walked down the aisle as a flower girl, when she said her vows, and during my Dad's speech.  Remember, I'm a self proclaimed Daddy's Girl, so I knew these would be emotional moments!

On this Grateful Heart Tuesday (?) I think it goes without saying that I am grateful to have my little sister and her mother in my life.  I am grateful that we all blended right away, and haven't had any of the awful issues that I hear about way too often.  I am grateful for an amazing weekend and beautiful wedding - and cannot wait to watch their lives grow together.  (And maybe for some nieces or nephews, but I'll try to be patient!)


Grateful Heart Monday w/ Ember Grey
 

How was your weekend?  Also, if you want more pictures of the wedding, check out my Instagram.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

9 comments:

  1. Your sisters dress is beautiful! annnnnnnd now I want a grilled cheese LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful dress! Looks like everyone had a great time :)
    I also want grilled cheese now too... thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys looked beautiful!! And you had me cracking up about the grilled cheese. That reminds me of how I think the pizza in Penn Station in NYC is so good but I'm never sober when I eat that either. I think almost everything tastes good when we are drunk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One thing I've always enjoyed about being a bridesmaid is that a bridal party feels like a small family. Everyone has their role. It is only natural you'd feel like you were giving your little sister away. So beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. She looked beautiful as did you. Glad you guys had a great wedding weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sweet! I am laughing about the full disclosure of the grilled cheese and sobriety. It sounds like me and 7-11 hot dogs at 2 am.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look beautiful as does your sister. Weddings are so emotional. Loved your honest statement that the grilled cheese may not be all that it's cracked up to be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh what a lovely tribute to your relationship with your sister! :) I'm so glad it was a wonderful wedding - her dress looks GORGE!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and appreciate all comments! I will respond directly to the email address linked to your comment. If you are a no-reply blogger I will respond to you here. Thanks for stopping by!