Wednesday, January 28, 2015

A Day of Yes

source

 Back in July, I got an email inviting to pre-order tickets to Disney on Ice: Frozen.  E was (and still is) obsessed - isn't every child?  I purchased 10 tickets - my girlfriends and I were each going to take our oldest.  Time went by, I sort of forgot about it, then started seeing commercials and billboards all around Chicago for the upcoming show.  I hadn't told E about it yet, so I decided to make it a surprise.

On Friday, I gave her hints after she was convinced that the surprise was a balloon (if only I had known it would be so easy!) - "We are going somewhere!" and "Your friends will be there!".  I bought her the cutest little Anna and Elsa dress at Target, but didn't show her until we were about to leave.  At that point I also explained that we were going to see Frozen, with live characters.

She was so excited in the car, even though she didn't fully understand what we were doing.  The joy on her face once we got there is something I'll never forget.  She sat in her seat, staring at the ice in such amazement that it really made me take a step back and enjoy things through the eyes of a preschooler.  The best part was when she leaned over, cupped my face in her hands and said "Thanks for bringing me here, mommy!".  Pure bliss.

I decided to make the day all about us - mommy and daughter.  She wanted gummy bears, so I got her gummy bears.  I wanted a pretzel, so I got the pretzel.  While walking back to our seats from intermission, she saw the guy selling the ridiculously overpriced pieces of plastic Elsa wands and asked if she could have one.  I said yes.  Afterwards we went out to dinner and I didn't make her eat fruits or vegetables first.  You would think she had won the lottery!

The next day she couldn't stop talking about how she went to "Disney World" (again, if only I knew it was that easy!) or how she got to eat candy and hot dogs and not one vegetable, all while sharing her new wand with her little sister.  Although it has never happened before, and will be far and few between, our Day of Yes was exactly what we both needed.

I am so grateful for the time we spent together, I know that someday she will much more "important" things to do than to hang out with me, and although I like to think it's forever away, I know it isn't.  I wish all of you, whether you have littles or not, to just spend the day with someone that means everything to you, doing whatever comes your way.  Cherish your time together!

Although when she is grown, she might only remember "the really cool Elsa wand that lit up", I will forever remember watching her, watching Frozen on Ice.

Linking up with Emily for Grateful Heart Monday and Anne for Wednesday Wishes.


Grateful Heart w/ Ember Grey


Love the Here and Now

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and appreciate all comments! I will respond directly to the email address linked to your comment. If you are a no-reply blogger I will respond to you here. Thanks for stopping by!