Wednesday, April 16, 2014

When the Seasons Change

This is not another post about how annoying it was that we had three seasons in a matter of four days here in Chicago - that could be a whole segment with multiple parts.  I generally feel very lucky to live in a place that experiences all four seasons, although some last a little longer than others.  I do wish we had a fifth season (shout out to my hometown, Cedar Rapids, Iowa!  If you are wondering what the fifth season is, here you go.)

Every time the seasons change I have an overwhelming desire to change something in my life.  Each season brings the same feelings for me, it's a cycle that I can't seem to snap out of.

In the Fall I want to cozy up, get new blankets, sweaters, boots.  I find recipes and recipes of soups and crock pot creations that never get made to try.  I start thinking about Christmas and brainstorming all of the awesome gifts I am going to get for my loved ones.

Then Winter comes, and sometime in January/February I get the itch to plan vacations.  Probably because I'm stuck inside watching my husband shovel for the 20th time.  Or because my children are going crazy and I'm running out of activities to keep them entertained.  I dream big - Bali, Thailand, Fiji.  Then I settle on a weekend away, driving distance, because hey - at least we're doing something.

Spring.  Spring is generally my most disliked season.  I like extreme temperatures and the back and forth between 40-70 degrees drives me crazy.  I don't know how to dress, I never know what each day is going to be like.

This is unfortunately accurate


I also get an overwhelming sense of needing to change something about myself.  My hair, my makeup, clothing, body, house.  Case in point - I just got a haircut (after 10 months, oops).  I also dropped a pretty penny on Rodan+Fields products because I just knew my face needed them.  I am watching what I eat and trying to move at least once a day just because Spring makes me feel alive again.  And maybe because I know swimsuit season is right around the corner... (PS If you use MyFitnessPal, let's connect, I need the motivation!)  I want to redecorate and find myself browsing Redfin for new homes. 

Then Summer finally gets here - which is my favorite season of all.  I find myself wishing that each day won't end because I love the sun, watching my kids play outside and sitting by a fire after the sun goes down.  Summer makes me want to do more, see more, enjoy more.  I wish I could make Summer last forever, but before I know it, Fall is here again and I'm back in the cycle of seasons.

I think I speak for everyone in the Midwest when I say we are ready for summer.  Until, that is, we are complaining that it's too hot :)

What's your favorite season and why?  I'd love to hear a new perspective!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and appreciate all comments! I will respond directly to the email address linked to your comment. If you are a no-reply blogger I will respond to you here. Thanks for stopping by!