Thursday, April 3, 2014

#Loveyourflaws

We've all been there.  You look in the mirror and see things about yourself that you don't like, almost immediately.  If you haven't, I am seriously jealous and proud of you at the same time.  It's easy to see our "flaws", or what society tells us are flaws.  Skin, hair, body shape, the list goes on and on and on.

Recently, Lorde posted on her Twitter this picture, with the caption "I find this curious - two photos from today, one edited so my skin is perfect and one real.  Remember flaws are ok".


This got me thinking.  My first thought was "Yes! I love it when celebrities show that they are normal people too!"  Then I started thinking about what my edited photo would look like, and what would be "fixed".  It made me think that yes, flaws are ok, and they tell a story about who you are.  Raising girls makes this issue even more important to me, as I never want them to grow up disliking something about themselves, but to have love for who they are and how they were made.

So I challenge you to look at your "flaws" and come up with a reason why, in fact, they can be a positive thing.  I'll go first.

The dark circles under my eyes show that I might not get a lot of sleep these days.  But that's because I have two littles that sometimes keep me up, and I am thankful for the fact that they make me a mommy.

My skin tone is uneven, I have sun spots and permanent freckles.  These show that when I was younger, I really didn't have a care in the world and could spend my summers by the pool lounging with my friends.

I have a popped capillary on my left cheek that is permanently red.  This happened while giving birth to my oldest, E.  Every day I see it can remind me of the day I become a mother.

My body shape... well... that's not in the best shape it's ever been in.  I'm a little lumpy and definitely saggy, but I was chosen to carry two babies, and with that comes extra body weight.  While I might not like the way it looks these days I am thankful that my body was able to do that.

I've always thought that my eyes were too deep set, and wearing a lot of eye makeup makes me look like I have a black eyes.  I inherited these from my father, and I love seeing pictures of his parents (whom I've never met) and love seeing that I look like them.  It's a piece of his family history that will be with me always.

So, I challenge you to begin looking at yourself in a more positive light and remember that if you look a little further, you can learn to #loveyourflaws.  Share yours with me on twitter !

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea! What a great post. Learning to love ourselves despite our flaws is not always easy. We are works in progress though aren't we? I saw that Lorde did this and I was so happy she shared the real pictures. Such a better message for the youth today rather than having them strive for this notion of perfection.

    I also have dark circles from lack of sleep...children do that to you, but hey...it's like a badge of honor right?!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and appreciate all comments! I will respond directly to the email address linked to your comment. If you are a no-reply blogger I will respond to you here. Thanks for stopping by!