Saturday, April 12, 2014

Favorite Money Saving Apps

Let's just start this off by saying that I am no expert when it comes to this kind of thing.  I love coupons, saving money, getting a great deal - but you will never find me on an episode of "Extreme Couponing" on TLC.  (Although I do love watching that show, and anything on TLC, let's be honest).  I don't need to always use a coupon, I certainly don't need fifty bottles of ketchup, and I will buy things without a coupon.  But the thrill of getting something free or almost free can't be beat!  It's almost as good as remembering that chocolate bar you tried to hide from youself. (Jess!  True story - my friend used to do this and would legit be excited when she found it again!)

With that being said, I'm sharing with you my favorite money-saving apps:


Target Cartwheel: What's better than Target?  Saving money at Target!  I love this app because you can easily use the scan feature to see if there is a discount on anything in your cart.  Using this, paired with Target coupons (from their website), manufacturer coupons (from the paper or online) and your Target redcard (I use the debit), I often get items very close to free.  I haven't paid full price for toiletries in years.  The more you save, the more spots open up for offers.  It does take a little planning before going to the store, and 5% here and there doesn't seem like a lot, but I've saved $172 in just 6 months.

Retail Me Not:  Picture yourself in the checkout line with a great pair of boots.  You love them, even if they cost more than you'd like to admit, and may or may not be hidden in the closet from your husband. (Guilty).  Don't worry - check your Retail Me Not app and more than likely you will find a coupon that can be scanned by the cashier!  I love it because you can search by "stores close to me", predetermined favorites, or you can type in a new store.  Always check this app before checking out!

CardStar:  Remember all of the plastic "savings/member/club" cards you have?  Yea, me either because they never stay in my wallet.  Enter CardStar.  In this app, you can scan all of your reward cards.  Not only that but any card with a barcode can be uploaded, like your library card.  Most stores are preloaded, but if you are using local cards you can enter them yourself.  The app also gives you deals offered at each store.  I love it because I never lose an opportunity to collect rewards anymore.  (Might help with those boots mentioned above!)

I have lots of sites I use while shopping online too, but we'll save that for another day.  I love hearing about new ways to save money and new apps - what are some of your faves?


1 comment:

  1. The cartwheel app is my favorite. Combining it with my Target debit card and the savings are even greater! Can't wait to check out the other apps.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and appreciate all comments! I will respond directly to the email address linked to your comment. If you are a no-reply blogger I will respond to you here. Thanks for stopping by!