Monday, December 15, 2014

I've Chosen Oils

I first started reading about essential oils months ago.  I was intrigued by the fact that people were using all natural ways to combat sickness and improve general health.  Whenever I saw an article, I would read it, and tuck the information back in my mind to "explore later".

When Amanda and Kate began their "Go Natural" Series - I dived a little deeper.  Each one of their topics - beauty, household products, pets, clean eating - all started getting me to really think about what I was putting on and in my body, and in the bodies of my children and husband.  I started to go back through all of the information out there about essential oils.  I reached out to Amy, as I knew she was using and loving oils.  After some discussion, I decided to purchase the Premium Starter Kit.


With the kit, I received a diffuser, samples, Stress-Away oil roll on and ten oils: Peace & Calming, Frankincense, Lavender, Lemon, Valor, Purification, Thieves, Joy, PanAway and Peppermint.

Of those, there are six that I use on pretty much a daily basis.  And the others I use as needed.

Thieves: Thieves is known for it's germ-busting qualities.  I put it on our feet each morning to boost our immunity and prevent sickies from getting the best of us.  I also diffuse this - it smells really yummy, cinnimon-y.  (that's a new term, by the way.)

Purification: I diffuse this to fight germs and purify the air.  It's also very handy if you'd made a bunch of bacon and want the smell gone - clears it right up!

Peppermint:  I used to be the Queen of Tums - popping them almost daily for heartburn and general upset tummy.  Once I started rubbing peppermint with a carrier oil over my chest or tummy when needed, I haven't had any Tums.  In months.

Lavender: My girls have sensitive, dry skin.  Lavender has cleared up rough patches on their backs, arms and torso.  Plus they smell yummy after I've put it on.  Lavender is a calming oil, so I always put it on them right before bed.

Lemon: Lemon is tied as my favorite oil.  I put 2-3 drops in my water every morning and don't need any caffeine the rest of the day.  This is huge for a recovering Diet Coke addict as myself.  It also gives me all of the benefits of citrus.

Stress Away:  This is also tied for favorite.  I love the way it smells.  If I'm feeling overwhelmed I'll rub this on my wrists and almost instantly feel calmer.  It goes in my purse so I always have access to it!

In addition to those - someone very close to me has been able to use Cedarwood and Peace & Calming with a quarter Ambien instead of a whole pill every day for sleep.  The goal is to just use oils, but we are going slow and steady.

There are SO many other ways to use oils and I am sincerely loving learning about all of them.  I love that I can share my new passion with friends and family.  I'm a believer!  I also must say that I do not use oils to take the place of modern medicine.  Of course, if myself or loved ones are sick, the doctor is our first course of action.  If antibiotics are needed, I am not against using them.  We also will always get a flu shot, each year.  This isn't meant to start a debate - to each his own - but I am only using oils for general discomforts, aches and pains.  I am grateful that I have found a natural way to protect and help my family, but I will still turn to the professionals when needed!

Do you use essential oils?  What are your favorite uses?  What oils are your must haves?  Please share!

Disclaimer:All of this information is based on my own opinion and experience. These statements are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease.  Please use common sense and the advice of your health care professional when making your health care decisions. 

Linking up with Amanda and Kate for their Go Natural Series.



Also linking up with Emily for Grateful Heart Monday.
Ember Grey: Grateful Heart
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and appreciate all comments! I will respond directly to the email address linked to your comment. If you are a no-reply blogger I will respond to you here. Thanks for stopping by!