Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Chicago: Where to Shop

I had so much fun writing about my hometown last month for Amanda's "Tell Me About Your Town" link-up, I couldn't wait to join again this month.  Not only am I joining, but I am co-hosting!  See below to share all things shopping in your town.

By now, it's no secret that I love shopping.  It also isn't a secret that I am from Iowa, and proud of it.  Unfortunately, after living in Chicago for almost seven years, and Minneapolis before that, I have become a bit spoiled with the shopping we have available.  So, for this month's prompt, "Favorite Local Shops or Boutiques" I have to choose to share areas around Chicago.  (Sorry Iowa!)

If you have ever visited Chicago, you have probably been to Michigan Avenue.  Shopping, restaurants, Water Tower, Hancock Tower, are all places that you can see with a walk down one street.  However, I'm going to let you in on a little secret - most people that live in Chicago (and suburbs) don't go shopping downtown.  The taxes are out of control, there are a million tourists, and stores hardly ever have sales.  We can find the same items, in the same stores, elsewhere.  Another reason?  The shopping is mostly big-name stores, and I love local boutiques.

My first stop for shopping in the suburbs is downtown Naperville - about 25 miles west of Chicago, and about ten minutes from where I live.  Here you can find a great mix of chain stores and local boutiques, all within walking distance from each other.


Some of my favorites:

Anderson's Book Shop:  There is also a Barnes and Noble close by, but I like going here because the staff always have recommendations based on other books you've liked.  Plus, local.

Campbill Hill Upscale Resale:  Want Loubs but don't want to spend a fortune?  What about a gently used Michael Kors?  Go here.  They only take gently used, upscale items and resale them for a fraction of the price.  You can consign here too.

It's A Bling Thing:  The name pretty much sums this up - but I love finding unique pieces here.

Marbles: The Brain Store: This place has fun games that are incredibly educational.  Bonus - you can shop online too!

Naperville General Store:  Think of an old, traditional general store.  There is fun candies, gifts, local treasures, basically anything you are looking for in one stop.

Penzey's Spices:  So I know that this is a chain, but there aren't many actual stores.  My Dad is obsessed with Penzey's and we always have to go here.  It smells divine and they have so many fun blends!

Twisted Olive:  Olive Oil stores are so fun, aren't they?  Who knew that there were hundreds of different kinds of olive oils.  Well, Twisted Olive knew - and let's you sample any flavor you want!

Two Bostons:  I love this gourmet pet store.  They carry the food my pup eats, make amazingly delicious gourmet pet treats (so I've heard!) and have great gifts.  Plus, my pup is a Boston Terrier and they always have a million things with Bostons on them.  #obsessedmuch ?

Among other local shops, there are plenty of chain stores too: lululemon, Gap, Loft, Pottery Barn, Paper Source, J. Crew, Anthropologie (and many others!).  Downtown Naperville really has it all! 

Join Amanda and I and link up! 

Tell Me About Your Town Linkup

This monthly linkup is to celebrate all the amazing places we all are from, to shine some light on the spots all over the country (or world!) us bloggers live. Our locations may not define us, but they certainly shed insight into who we are and how we live. Join me and my co-host on the third Tuesday of each month when we will have one specific topic related to your towns to guide you in writing about your city. So…tell me about your town!


The Rules

To participate in this linkup, simply write your own post following our topic/prompt for the month and add your link (your actual post, not your homepage) to the linkup below. Include the linkup button (also below) or a link back in your post. Please follow me and my co-host and visit at least one other post from the linkup. You may write about the town you currently live in, the place you were born and raised, or any other place that feels like home to you. Share as many photos as you wish! Make me want to visit your town! Each linkup will go live at 12:05 a.m. Central time on the third Tuesday of that month will be open for one week.


Next Month:  January 20th - "Date Night Spots". With co-host Cassie.

The Rambling Llama
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and appreciate all comments! I will respond directly to the email address linked to your comment. If you are a no-reply blogger I will respond to you here. Thanks for stopping by!