Tuesday, March 17, 2015

The Vacation of All Vacations

How, exactly, do I begin to tell you all about my vacation?  Quite simply, I can't.  It was exactly what Tim and I needed.  I could probably spend an entire week telling you about what we did, sharing pictures, and reminiscing about how I wish we were still there.  But instead, I'll put it in to one long, picture-filled post because I have some other exciting things going on this week that I can't wait to share.  Bear with me while I picture and memory dump below!

Our flight Saturday was delayed, but after a limo ride to O'Hare and knowing that we would be on the beach in half a day, there wasn't much that could bring us down.  We had a direct flight and watched a few movies on the way down.  Upon arriving at the Ritz-Carlton St. Thomas, this was our view - we were off to a great start:



Sunday was spent at the spa, where I had a fabulous massage, and then on the beach.  Monday, we chartered a boat and skipped over to the British Virgin Islands - mostly Jost van Dyke, including Sandy Spit - which is where the Corona commercials are filmed.  To say that this little spot was my happy place is a huge understatement.  I just laid on the sand for at least an hour, soaking it all in.  We also stopped for a quick hike to the "Bubbly Bath", which is a spot where waves come through walls of rock and make a fun little wave pool.  Unfortunately, I didn't have my phone = none of my own pictures.

Sandy Spit.  source
Tuesday we went in to Red Hook, where after a few cocktails, I decided to try one of those fish pedicures.  The fish are pretty small, and they rub all along your feet to loosen dead skin and then suck it off.  I had seen it on tv before (The housewives did it in Thailand!) but never in person.  It felt like little bubbles - and only really freaked me out when they tried to go through my toes.  But here's the kicker - my feet are still soft.  After a week of the beach and sandals.  I am a believer!




Wednesday, we took the ferry to St. John and rented a Jeep.  We hit three different beaches, then had the best dinner I've ever eaten at a place called Fatty Crab.  If you are ever in the vicinity of St. John, go here.  It is a "funky southeast Asian restaurant" and only has locations in New York, Hong Kong and St. John.  It was so, so good.  St. John is quickly becoming my favorite of the Caribbean islands I've been to.



Thursday was another boat day - this time we went to Tortola, another British Island.  We first snorkeled, where we saw two different sea turtles and hundreds of fish.  We spent the afternoon here - eating, drinking cocktails and just enjoying the views.



The second picture is one of my favorites from the trip, complete with the British phone booth.  It's a framer!

Friday, I woke up with a migraine.  I did my routine that always seems to help - drink a regular Coke, slather Peppermint essential oil on my forehead and sit in a warm bath.  Just over an hour later, it was gone - so out to the pool I went.  We spent the day reading and soaking up the sun.  I finished two books in one week - that is definitely a record for me!

Saturday was our travel day home.  By that point I was ready to see my babies again, but so so sad to be leaving paradise.  I can't wait to go back again - maybe next time to stay on St. John.  Has anyone done that?

All in all, it was a fabulous trip.  We loved our time together, the girls loved their time with the grandparents, and I wouldn't have traded it for anything.  I was able to cross five things off of my 101 in 1001 list!  Also, a special note to my Midwestern readers - we brought the warm weather home with us.  You are welcome. :)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and appreciate all comments! I will respond directly to the email address linked to your comment. If you are a no-reply blogger I will respond to you here. Thanks for stopping by!