Wednesday, March 4, 2015

The Timing is Right

Sometimes, when we least expect it, the perfect moment can happen and change your entire perspective.  It doesn't happen often, and never happens when you think it will, but when it does, the message that comes through is exactly what your heart needs to hear.

We've had a lot going on the last couple of weeks.  It all started when A was in the hospital.  Just as we were getting on the other side of that, we unexpectedly put an offer on a house.  (We didn't get it, by the way.)  That little leap of faith prompted us to get our house ready for the market, and it is now for sale.  All of this in a matter of ten days, and to top it off, we leave for vacation this Saturday.

The trip to St. Thomas is coming at the perfect time.  All of the stress from A's sickness, de-cluttering and listing our house, and the last minute showings we've had have completely exhausted me.  I love the beach, I love one on one time with my husband, but I couldn't shake this underlying feeling of "mom guilt".  How could I leave my babies for a week?  Would they resent me?  Is it too much to ask my parents to watch them for that long?  I was borderline not excited to leave.

source
And then?  Our realtor came over to take pictures.  He brought his wife, who helps him with staging and lighting.  She and I were talking and she asked about our vacation.  I very casually said we were going for a week, without the kids, and in that moment, she said the perfect thing to me.

"The relationship between husband and wife is the strongest in the family.  Relationships with your parents will eventually fade, as will those with your children as they grow up and move out of your house.  People often don't focus on one another, and taking time for just each other is the best thing you can do for your family.  You shouldn't feel bad about making your husband a priority."

It's almost as if she sensed my mom guilt.  In that moment, I knew she was right - and realized that having my girls spend the week with their grandparents is amazing for everyone involved.  I can't feel guilty for spending the week with my husband - we so desperately need that time together.

The timing of her comment was impeccable, although I know it wasn't a coincidence.  My heart is happy and I am excited for vacation.  My heart is at peace knowing that my girls (and pup!) will be spending quality time with two sets of their grandparents.  Bring on the sunscreen, sand, and of course, cocktails!

My wish for you today is that no matter what is laying heavy on your heart, you listen for that perfect moment.  Wait for it, it will come.

Linking up with Anne.


Love the Here and Now
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and appreciate all comments! I will respond directly to the email address linked to your comment. If you are a no-reply blogger I will respond to you here. Thanks for stopping by!