Tuesday, May 27, 2014

That Time I Met a (Small) Celebrity

My sister in law just got back from a bachelorette party in LA.  My first question to her was, "Who did you see?!"  I love hearing about celebrity sightings - it's like finding an amazing item on super sale and then having it be even cheaper at the register - it just doesn't happen very often.  But when it does, it's exhilarating!  She saw Emma Roberts, which is fun.  But the best part?  One of the girls at the party went to school with Prince William and Kate!  I know, right?!  She even knew them and went to the same parties.  Kate once gave her a ride home!  

While she was telling me all of this, all I could think of was "I wish I had stories like that!"  I always feel like I'm hearing about the time one of my friends or family members met someone famous.  Not me!  I like to think they have been around, I just haven't noticed.  There is one time that I remember, however.

Growing up in Iowa, the shopping wasn't ideal.  When it came time for my sister's prom, my Mom packed us up and we headed to the Mall of America outside of Minneapolis.  In the hotel, my friend and I were taking the elevator down to the pool when Alex Mack walked in!  I know that this isn't as exciting as Prince William or Kate, but to a 6th grader that grew up with The Secret World of Alex Mack, this was huge.


She was also in 10 Things I Hate About You, and recently made an appearance in Pretty Little Liars - all grown up.

10 Things I Hate About You
Pretty Little Liars
 I was 12 at the time, so speaking to her or getting my picture taken wasn't on my mind. (Apparently I met the Oak Ridge Boys and Raffi when I was younger, I've seen the pictures but don't remember at all!)

My dad had drinks with Charles Barkley, my sister has a picture of her shaking Obama's hand, my aunt is friends with Bill Clinton, and I'm still waiting for my big moment.  It's on my 101 in 1001 list after all - "take a picture with a celebrity".  I'll get there!

Who have you met?  Any good stories - I love hearing these!

9 comments:

  1. Ahh! I used to want to be Alex Mack so hard! Might have to find an old episode or two. Thank you for the reminder! And the fun story!!
    I met "Al Borland" from Tool Time. He was intoxicated at a fundraiser, and rubbed my belly, and thanked me for helping him find his seat. It was weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey now Alex Mack is somebody haha. Ive met Rihanna and Simon Cowell in Barbados. No pics with either and Im not sure why I didnt take any.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, she looks so different now! Crazy! I didn't "meet" them, but I did see Lavell Crawford from Last Comic Standing and Daisy from Rock of Love (or was it Flavor of Love?) at the LA Airport!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally got to meet and hug Randy from Say Yes to the Dress. I have a picture. It's framed... in my bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alex Mack!! How cool!! I actually did makeup for Countess Luann De Lesseps from the Real Housewives. I met Snooki at her book signing. Both were surprisingly nice and down to Earth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omgosh I love Alex Mack!! That was one of the best shows ever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got my husband to watch 10 Things I Hate About You for the first time this weekend. He loved it. I loved seeing Alex Mack on PLL! I wish she was in more things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I once rode an elevator with Paul McCartney and his daughter Beatrice win NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I met Cuba Gooding Jr. Hecwas very nice. It was at a restaurant in downtown Disney. I was a flight attendant at the time. He was sitting right behind me and his chair kept hitting mine. He tapped me on the shoulder to apologize and I was like ummmmmmmm, Show me the Money!!!! ( Jerry McGuire) he laughed and asked where I was from I said Chi-town and he said he loved it here!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and appreciate all comments! I will respond directly to the email address linked to your comment. If you are a no-reply blogger I will respond to you here. Thanks for stopping by!