Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Mean Girls

I wish I were talking about Lindsay Lohan's best movie.  But unfortunately, I am talking about real life mean girls.

via Google Images

Picture this - The girls and I were at a park last week with two of my friends and their children.  E was running around, going down the slides, just being a kid.  Two girls showed up that were probably about 5-6 years old (E is 4).  She began trying to get their attention, playing near them, asking what their names were.  I was so proud of her for going out of her way to play with other girls - she is usually so shy around new people!  So I went back to talking to my friends. 

When I looked back over, maybe one minute later, I see E laying on her stomach with her head down and her hands over her head.  I then see one of the girls keep getting close to her, whispering something in her ear.  Then the two girls would laugh and run away.  This happened about five times - the whole time I was straining to hear what was being said.  When it didn't stop, I casually walked over to ask what they were playing.  (Still trying to look on the bright side, maybe it was a game?!)  When I walked up, I heard the girl say "You are dog poo!"  To my daughter, who is four!!

It took everything in my power to not scream at these girls and scoop up E in to the safety of my arms.  I calmly said "Well that's not very nice, is it?" and asked E if she wanted to play with my daughter's friend, after which she got up and obliged.  Meanwhile, the girls' nannies were sitting on a bench chatting, oblivious to what was happening.

Sadly, it gets worse.  The one girl (clearly the instigator) came up to E ten-ish minutes later and spat on her.  I could hardly believe it!  I lost it.  I sternly told the girls that they needed to be nice and it was not appropriate to treat others that way.  It broke my heart. 

Is this really what is happening in our world?  Five year olds being outright mean to other girls?  I know that bullying happens, but I really wasn't prepared for it to happen this early.  How do I protect her?  How do I teach her that even if this happens, it has nothing to do with how special and loving she is?  And most importantly - for her never to recreate what she has experienced and treat others with kindness, always?

Today I am linking up with Anne from Love the Here and Now and her co-host, Kerri from hey Kerri for Wednesday Wishes.  Today, my wish is this:  For children to be kind to each other.  It seems so simple, but sadly is so complex.


via Google Images
Love the Here and Now

10 comments:

  1. I can't believe this, yet sadly a part of me can. That is horrific. Your poor daughter. I am pretty sure my mama bear would have come out and I would have talked to the Nannies and let them know that their child(ten) were not being nice. Give E an extra hug from me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no hun that is truly awful. Truly. Im so sorry E had to go through that and you had to witness it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post breaks MY heart, so I have no idea how you held it together actually living this situation. Props to you for being a great mom...being there to comfort your daughter after the "mean girl shenanigans" and trying to teach her the opposite of what she just experienced. Who would've thought you'd be teaching her life lessons at just four years old?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so sad! I can't believe that little girls of that age are already being so hateful to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I’m reading this comment in disbelief as my heart breaks for your daughter. The world has become such a cruel place and I find it so crazy how many parents are not teaching their children at a young age about bulling. You definitely handled this situation a lot better than I would have! Thank you so much for joining us today with Wednesday Wishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omgosh that is absolutely horrible. I would have marched right up to their nannies and told them to control their little monsters. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was literally gasping reading this. I am astounded at the gall of those little girls. I had no clue bullying started THAT early now! I would be so ashamed to be their mother and know my kids were saying such hurtful things to others. I hope that E recovered just fine and isn't too hurt from it. That is so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so sad! Kids can be awful. Makes one wonder how those little girls are being treated by either other kids or by grownups in their lives. I don't think a kid just decides to spit on someone, out of the blue. That definitely seems like a learned behavior.

    You're a better person than I am, though. I probably would have given the kid a smack on her cheek for spitting on my kid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I would have lost it and definitely would have gave those nannies an ear full! Liv was playing on the playground and a boy who must have been 6 (Liv is only just 2) pushed her off of a tall slide. She was fine and it really didn't phase her (she's good that way) but I went up to the boy and was like you have to be careful, she's only a baby. Then the little f-er rolled his eyes at me and walked away. Of course he had no parents in sight or I would have went bat-shit crazy on them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy moly I would've lost my cool! I am so sorry that your sweet baby girl had to experience that. It's just so sad how some kids can be so awful.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and appreciate all comments! I will respond directly to the email address linked to your comment. If you are a no-reply blogger I will respond to you here. Thanks for stopping by!