Tuesday, February 24, 2015

When "Thank You" Isn't Enough

"Thank You."

It's a phrase that we all use, every day.  When?  Probably more than you think.

"Thank you" for calling.
"Thank you" for holding the door.
"Thank you" when receiving the lunch you ordered.
"Thank you" for pouring me a delicious glass of wine.

I never gave much thought to the phrase.  That is until this past weekend, when I literally said "thank you" for saving my daughter's life and making me comfortable while doing so.

It all started like any other weekend - my Blogger Love post went up, I played with the girls all day, and even did some laundry.  That night we had our friends over to discuss our upcoming vacation, and the girls went to bed like any other night.

My littlest, A, woke up around 2am and wouldn't go back to sleep.  She was coughing a bit and just all around cranky.  By 7am she was breathing quicker than normal, which warranted a trip to Urgent Care.  We were given a diagnosis of RSV and prescriptions for a nebulizer and treatments.

By 6pm, I counted 78 breaths per minute.  Seventy eight.  The average toddler takes 20-30 breaths per minute.  Somehow, I manged to not completely freak out, but instead bundled her up and rushed to the Emergency Room.

After waiting two hours and not seeing a doctor (more on that another time), we left and went to another hospital where she was taken in right away.  She was given three back to back nebulizer treatments, steroids and motrin for the fever.  She was then admitted.  The doctor apologized for having to admit her, and I said "Thank You", as I was terrified of taking her home for the night.  We are still dealing with it, but we are home.

We stayed overnight.  She had treatments every two hours.  I didn't sleep, she didn't sleep, but I was so relieved to have the amazing medical staff watching over her.  We were later told that her breathing rate was close to being very dangerous, and any longer we might not have had the outcome we did. 

How do you say "Thank You" to the Pediatric E.R. staff for getting in her right away?

To the Respatory Therapist that sat with us and explained everything?

To the E.R. Pediatrician that saw her within 5 minutes of getting there?

To the fantastic Pediatric nurses that were so caring and gentle with everything?

To the charity, Becca's LEGacy, who had a soft, cuddly bear ready for A to hold all night?

To the Ronald McDonald Family Room that gave A puzzles and books to keep her occupied, and provided me a warm shower with all    of the toiletries I needed?  You have no idea how much that helped me, mentally.

To my inlaws, who got a phone call that one granddaughter was going to the hospital and that the other was being dropped off?

To my fabulous friends and family that checked up on us and made sure that we were ok, at all hours of the night?

To God, who blessed our medical team and kept a loving hand over A?

Quite simply, "Thank You" doesn't begin to be enough.  My feeling of thanks goes beyond that.  Is there a phrase for that?  Much greater than "thank you"?  That's what I'm feeling.

Being in this situation was so scary, but when I think about all of the amazing things that happened during this ordeal, I can't help but to be grateful for good medical care, friends and family, and above all else, A's improving health.

Next time you say "thank you" to someone, I urge you to really think about what you are saying.  Be thankful for the amazing things in your life, and give thanks wherever you can.

Linking up with Emily for Grateful Heart Monday. (Tuesday?)

Grateful Heart w/ Ember Grey
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and appreciate all comments! I will respond directly to the email address linked to your comment. If you are a no-reply blogger I will respond to you here. Thanks for stopping by!