Wednesday, November 19, 2014

When Your Phone Stops Working

This is not a "how-to" post, as I am about as good as a newborn when figuring out technology.  Although I'm pretty sure a newborn would figure things out more efficiently than I would, but I digress.

If you are friends with me on Facebook, you saw yesterday that my phone decided to take a bath with A.  I immediately took it out of the bath and dried it off, but the sound wouldn't work.  Not devastating, until I tried to make a phone call.  No sounds = no calls.  What's the point of a phone if you can't make calls?  (Never mind the fact that I rarely actually speak on my phone, but I digress again).  So, I turned to Pinterest and quickly plunked it in to a bowl of rice.

Meanwhile, I felt a little lost.  That is, until I realized how wonderful it was not having my phone around.  Seriously!  The first few hours were strange, I kept reaching for something that wasn't there.  But once I got used to it being gone, it was so nice.

I hate to admit it - but my phone gets a lot of my attention - even when my girls are around.  It's almost like an addiction.  Check email, check twitter, tweet, browse Facebook and Pinterest.  It's never-ending.  But without my phone, I was more in the moment.  I listened to my girls giggle, read books to each other, and make each other laugh.  I sat down and colored an entire picture with E.  I rolled around on the floor with A, just to make her squeal with delight.  I did these things for hours, without interruption.

I'm ashamed that I don't do this more often.  It was such a great day, pure joy even, with my girls.  It made me realize even more that time with them is short - that they will never be this small again.  I am taking this "oops" situation and running with it.  I'll be shutting down my phone every morning, while they are both awake, and just living in the moment with them.

Although I don't wish that any of you drop your phone in a pool of water, I do wish that my lesson can be learned by each of you.  It's easy to get wrapped up in technology, but enjoying each moment is much more important.  It's only fitting that I link up with Anne from Love the Here and Now today for Wednesday Wishes.

And, for the record, the rice trick does work.


Love the Here and Now

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and appreciate all comments! I will respond directly to the email address linked to your comment. If you are a no-reply blogger I will respond to you here. Thanks for stopping by!