Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Budgeting Is.... Awesome?

Yes, friends, yes it is.  I haven't always felt this way - I thought it was too restrictive and wouldn't allow for those spontaneous shopping trips or weekend getaways.

For the month of April, I put myself on a spending freeze.  Overall, I surprised myself.  Not buying anything for myself all month worked, for the most part.  But at the end of the month I was left confused - how could I make myself a budget, and stick with it?

For the month of May, I tracked everything I spent on myself and the girls.  Clothes, makeup, food, drinks, basically anything that was just for me, or clothes/accessories/toys just for the girls.  Again, I was shocked.  But not in a "I-did-so-awesome!" kind of way.  More of a "omg-I-spent-WHAT" kind of way.  I did get some great things, which will be shared with you in the near future.  But my new things are a little over shadowed by the number that is glaring in my mind!
So, for June, I've come up with a plan.  I decided to go with a cash only system, and have given myself a certain amount to spend each month.  Some for me, some for the girls.  I will occasionally use credit cards - when it's double points day, or I have a coupon that can only be used with the card.  When that happens, I will take cash from my wallet and set it aside to pay our nanny each week.  I am so dedicated to this, that today over my lunch break I marched over to the bank and took out my monthly spending amount.  Systems work, friends!

In honor of my new-found commitment to budgets, I thought linking up with Anne for the Awesome List was a great idea!


Love the Here and Now

Budgets Are Awesome!

|| It will help me determine what I want, vs. what I need.  (A lesson I need to learn!)

|| Anything that I don't spend will be rolled over to the next month.  Maybe one month in the future I will have enough to make a large splurge!

|| I will be saving money for our upcoming move = new furniture, decor, and paint!

|| I can start to teach E and A about budgeting.  If there is a certain toy they want, they will need to choose wisely.

|| Someone has to offset my husbands spending.  Golf is not my friend!

|| Towards the end of the month, I have a feeling I will be forced to eat at home more often.  Saving money and saving calories.

Have you put yourself on a strict budget?  How does it work for you?  I welcome any and all tips!

Also, if you are on a budget but still want to sponsor someone - I am having a 30% off sale with code RIGHTSTUFF (yes, that is a nkotb reference).  Limited uses!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and appreciate all comments! I will respond directly to the email address linked to your comment. If you are a no-reply blogger I will respond to you here. Thanks for stopping by!