Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Recipe: Sweet Potato Casserole

Family dinners are so important to us -  it's a time for us all to sit together without any distractions and talk about our days.  Funny things that happened, things we learned, events we are excited for.  Finding a meal that everyone will like?  That's is quite a challenge in our house!

A few months ago, my sister and I were talking about how to get my kids (husband included) to eat more vegetables.  Basically, anything green is off limits according to E - which makes things a bit difficult.  She shared this recipe with me and I've already made it a few times because it's such a hit!


Sweet Potato Casserole

Ingredients:
3/4 cup wild rice blend and chicken broth to cook it in 

1T butter
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed (hint: buy a bag of diced sweet potatoes that cook in the microwave)
2 t brown sugar
4 cups spinach

Vinaigrette:
2 T olive oil
2 T balsamic vinegar
1T maple syrup
1 t Dijon mustard
2 cloves minced garlic
Salt and pepper



 1. Prepare rice according to package directions using chicken broth instead of water.

2. Mix ingredients for vinaigrette, whisk to combine, set aside 



3. Melt butter in skillet (medium high). Add brown sugar and sweet potatoes, season with salt and sauté until tender and carmelized (about 10 minutes). 

4. Turn heat down, add spinach to skillet, cover and steam until wilted.



5. Add rice and vinaigrette, then toss to combine. 

And enjoy!  I usually make some chicken on the side, but this is very filling as is.  Let me know if you make it!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and appreciate all comments! I will respond directly to the email address linked to your comment. If you are a no-reply blogger I will respond to you here. Thanks for stopping by!