Sunday, March 30, 2014

Hi, I'm New Here

I have a confession.  I've never been the "new girl".  Like, ever. 

Preschool happened.  Everyone is new, and let's be honest, you were more interested in what was for snack on any particular day than who you were sitting next to.  Everyone was your friend in preschool.

Kindergarten through 5th grade was all of the same kids for me.  I made my core group of friends and we travelled through the trials of the 80's together.  Perms - three to be exact, huge bangs, the horror of the day that schools banned our slap bracelets, loads of neon... I could go on and on and on.

In middle school, three elementary schools formed in to one.  We were all in our awkward preteen stages but had the comfort of the kids from the years before with us.  We all remember middle school and how uncomfortable it was, right?  While navigating dating for the first time, first kisses, the whole new world of fashion - holey jeans and Doc Martens -  I still had my group of friends that I had always had.

High School was a combination of a few middle schools, and again, we had our friends from middle school until we formed new friendships.

I was fortunate enough to go to college only thirty minutes from home - Go Hawkeyes - and in turn, a good majority of my graduating class went there as well.  Of course I branched off fairly quickly, but while meeting new people I always had my friends from high school.  I rushed a sorority that a friend in my dorm recruited me for, so I already knew people going in to that as well.

While entering the professional world, four of us were hired at the same time.  We were all the "new ones", together.  I really never have been "new", on my own.  Until now.

So now I am new, so so so new.  It's a weird feeling for me, but here's another confession - I kind of like it.

4 comments:

  1. Hi there! Welcome to the blogosphere. I am a semi newbie as well. I have really enjoyed my past few months blogging and have found that so many bloggers are encouraging and supportive. I love your design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne! Thanks for the comment, the few bloggers I've interacted with have been great as well!

      Delete
  2. Being the "new girl" is fun!! You can be mysterious and intriguing...heehee...Welcome!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and appreciate all comments! I will respond directly to the email address linked to your comment. If you are a no-reply blogger I will respond to you here. Thanks for stopping by!